Labels

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Healthy Sweet Potato Crunch Casserole



It's winter, and while I do live in sunny California, I still like to indulge in comfort food as if I was snowed in somewhere on the East Coast.

The downside to the winter heat is that I can't hide my extra 'comfort food pounds' under a bulky sweater quite the way I used to in Boston.  Hell, just last week I was sipping fruity cocktails in a rooftop pool.  A bathing suit in January is NOT synonymous with baked lasagna.



So I compromised, and made this delicious and nutritious sweet potato crunch casserole.  It's SO easy and compliments any meat or fish perfectly.   Plus you know my love of vitamin rich sweet potatoes and their super food powers right?!  (just say right)

INGREDIENTS:
4 peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
1 bag of unsweetened cranberries
1 bakers bag of pine nuts
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp grade b maple syrup (grade A is fine - just go organic if possible!  or switch for honey or brown sugar)
coarse ground black pepper
pinch sea salt
olive oil

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350

2. caramelize onion over medium low heat in 2 tsp olive oil.  Add garlic and cook until browned, stirring occasionally.  Add pine nuts and cook until browned then add craisins.  Stir in maple syrup, salt and pepper.

3. Toss sweet potato pieces in mixture and place in casserole dish.  Optional - sprinkle with brown sugar.

4.  Cook for 25 minutes, or until pieces are crunchy on outside and tender in the middle.  Let cool and serve!  

No comments:

Post a Comment